T.M. Power Drug Store, Built 1897 - Barrington & North St.
Halifax, NS, Survivor of the 1917 Halifax Explosion
An announcement for the opening of the T. M. Power Drug Store appeared
in the Halifax Evening Mail on December 1, 1897. Located at what
is now the corner of North Street and Barrington Street, the store
was located across from the Intercolonial Railway Line terminal
and was adjacent to the naval dockyard. After surviving the Halifax
Explosion of December 1917, the store became a major support for
survivors and workers, as lists and information were posted on the
building's exterior. An illustration by L. B. Jensen appears in
• Fitted wooden interior consisting of 2 stained glass windows
and pressed tin ceiling and walls (the beautiful stained glass in
the ceiling is contemporary), pharmaceutical storage drawers, shelving
units and counter. This interior is an excellent surviving example
of interior drug store architecture and décor of the late
19th century in Canada.
• Showglobes, apothecary jars, mortar and pestle, and other
antique pharmaceutical-related items.